Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cocktail Tuesdays: the Sidecar

"It's like lemonade for adults!" --My Aunt, after tasting her Sidecar.

My dad has this little project where he makes a new cocktail every night from the book Old Man Drinks: Recipes, Advice, and Barstool Wisdom By Robert Schnackenberg. I know, very Jules and Julia, right? I thought it would make a great blog project, but he's not really one for blogging, so I took it upon myself to chronicle one of the daily drinks per week. This week is the Sidecar.


"Veterans of the Great War will remember this one, first whipped up by the bartender at Harry's New York Bar in Paris to satisfy a U.S. Army captain who used a motorcycle sidecar as his principal means of transportation. After a few of these, you'd storm a trench for General Pershing, too" (Schnackenberg 136).

My aunt was right in calling it lemonade for adults. This drink is so summer; light and refreshing, sweet but not too sweet, and complete with a cognac kick. So perfect for back porch evenings still lit by that late summer sun.

Ingredients:


1/2 ounce cognac
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
Lemon twist

Shake them all together with ice to get it nice and cold, then poor into your prettiest cocktail glass. Optional: Sugar the rim and garnish with a lemon peel!

6 comments:

Sabrina Tassini said...

I love sidecar!and your blog is soo different and interesting dear!this vintage mood is great and i'v seen the older posts..I like your style in blogging!congrats:)
I'd be happy if u come into mine and if u like it follow me..I hope to see u soon!
kiss from Milan!

Patchwork à POrter

STYLE MARMALADE said...

I like your style girl! loving this cocktail mixture and can't wait for the rest! x

Unknown said...

mmm sounds delicious!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

AsianCajuns (Lar) said...

Oh you're dad should totally start a blog! I got the same reaction from my mom when I suggested she do the same (thrift and DIY queen - we call her Martha Stewart with a heart and no jail time).
I'm totally going to give the sidecar a try (love the historical quote) - I love how simple the recipe is too. I get discouraged when my cocktails require too much fancy liquor flavahs.

moonshinejunkyard said...

wow that is the raddest. i want to try this one; i've never had a sidecar and it sounds PERFECT! i can't wait to follow some of your dad's drinks.

Meet The Weils said...

Next give the French 75 a try!

hop on