Friday, January 2, 2009

Inspiration in the checkout line

I embarrassed myself checking out of Kroger yesterday, having to count out pennies to make up the bill for my groceries, and this damn magazine:

is to blame! This picture and link are for the book, which I definitely want because it comes with removable prints! Mine is just the magazine, I suppose it's a sample of the book, with 100 pictures. I saw it while waiting in line and it immediately caught my eye amongst the Soap Opera minimags and the Britney Spears-adorned Glamour's, and I knew I had to have it! It was the last one which also told me it was meant to be mine, and it's the best $11.00 I've spent this...week. If you like looking at old pictures, you should definitely run to the grocery store or CVS and just get it. You can see some of the pictures Here.


I LOOOVE this picture of a teenager in 1951. Kind of inspiring for an outfit, I especially like the ankle socks with the loafers. If you can't tell, I've been liking the way socks look with shoes lately! The pic is by Gordon Parks and is of Toni Riddleberger, btw.

Photobucket

This is another inspiring picture of Marlene Dietrich in the fifties, though it certainly captures a different aspect of fashion than the teen one! I just think it's a gorgeous image altogether, and also makes me feel a little more hopeful about the awkward length of my hair. I wonder how to make it so perfectly wavy?

And beyond these fashion inspiring pictures, there are just plain humanly inspiring ones there too. Definitely worth looking at. See a whole archive of old LIFE photos courtesy of google HERE!

2 comments:

Em said...

Those pictures are fabulous, they have such a vintage feel to them!

ps...
I have a question for you…Do you think brown and grey go together in an outfit?? If so then prove it if you will. Thanks! Just a little contest me and a few bloggers are starting! And for anyone else thats reading this…TRY IT!…and let me know what you came up with on my blog : )

Muck Love

Unknown said...

I think I'm up to the challenge! I'll let you know what the results of my efforts look like. P.S. I guess you could say the pictures actually are vintage, they're both from the 50's ;~)

hop on