Saturday, October 8, 2011

the shades that got away

I fear I may be suffering under a curse. 

For every time I fall completely in love with a pair of sunglasses, they are inevitably and tragically torn from me.

Meet Number 1: My first sunglass love and the ones I'll be pining to recreate my entire life. First purchased in a sort of costume shop called Junkman's Daughter way back in high school (see natural hair color below), they were my first pair of interesting shades and shielded my eyes from the sun faithfully and fashionably for years. They'd still be with me if it weren't for one unspeakable day at the aquarium some 3-4 years ago. I lost them. It's a day etched into my heart with a dagger called regret.  



Number 2: Maybe they started out as a rebound... but real lasting love did develop. Originally purchased at a costume shop in Charleston, these rose tinted beauties were going to be part of an Annie Hall costume that never panned out. Instead they became a featured part of the Katie costume I wear daily, and I feel secure in saying, helped mold me into the woman I am today. They were snatched from my face by the cruel sea mere minutes after this last photo with them was snapped. The experience was as cold and shocking as the wave that caused it. 


In China, I experimented. I tried square frames and oval lenses. I tried fray bans and rhinestones. Eventually I settled on this round tortoise-shell dream... And this is how that romance brutally ended:




Just when I thought all hope was lost, the Cobra Shop and their wealth of eye accessories entered my spectrum of awareness. This little slice of badass is called the Janice and I want to make her mine as soon as possible...

Source: the Cobra Shop 
Source: the Cobra Shop

source: we heart it

13 comments:

t said...

Too bad your sunglasses broke.

http://initialed.blogspot.com

K A T H L E E N said...

i always seem to break or lose mine! i like the first ones though!

This Charming Style said...

oh my gosh, that is seriously unlucky!! sorry about that :/ the picture of your cat is kinda funny though haha :) I love these circular beauties at the bottom! xx

Brooke said...

They are cool as man! Did you buy them? I'm getting a pair! Totally running the risk that they will be mahoosive on my little face (as so often happens) but dont care!

renewvintage.blogspot

Bla bla said...

Hi! Tnx for leavinfg the comment! Too bad to hear what happened to your sunglasses...but hope you'll find the similar pair soon
Cheers
Anika

Marella said...

So unlucky!!!!

STYLE MARMALADE said...

I've missed, broke and lost so many glasses is ridiculous that is why I try not to spend a lot in glasses but maybe that is the problem I'm not spending enough! I love round glasses too! O just bought a pair and I feel a litttle bit like mister Wonker :D is great!

sorelle in style said...

Ahh looks like we both share an obsession for oversized sunglasses! How it would pain me to lose one of my favorite pairs! Find a new pair and hold onto them tightly! ;)

-j
sorelle in style

Bad Joan said...

What a fun post!

GTBB,
http://badjoan.blogspot.com
http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

AsianCajuns (Cath) said...

I lose my sunglasses all the time. That's why I never buy an expensive pair. Lar just bought some Ray Bans (the real kind) right before she left for Scotland and I admire her belief that she won't misplace them.

You should definitely get those sunglasses. I can totally see you rocking those!

Natalie Leung said...

those sunglasses were awesome, I'm so so sorry to hear they broke :(

natalie
http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

Sophia said...

Those glasses are so quirky and amazing! A totally hip way to rock eyewear this summer.

x Sophia (moulinfrock.blogspot.com)

Emmett Katherine said...

Love those cobra shop glasses, they remind me of almost famous/penny lane. I always break my glassses, or lose them. They have about a 2 month life span.

hop on