Tuesday, September 20, 2011

the heidi

Made my first attempt at a hairstyle I've been fawning all over since last summer: The romantic, chic, playful, sweet, perfect Heidi braid. My hair isn't as long as would be ideal, but with the help of these two youtube tutorials (the second by fellow blogger Aya of Strawberry Koi), I managed it.

This one is really good and makes a super pretty braid, but my hair wasn't quite long enough to start the braid low and close to the nape of the neck like she directs. Tips I did take: Braiding a bit more loose and messy, using your fingers to loosen up the hair at the scalp, using your finger as a braid-folding tool, pinning down the puffy bit behind the ear when done. (I actually just discovered she has a pretty amazing blog, too, which I intend to follow here).





This video by Aya is also really good, especially if you have shorter hair. She shows you how to start the braid closer to your ear and gives good tips on the best types of bobby pins.



It took me about 4 tries and 45 minutes to get a heidi braid I am satisfied with, combining wisdom from both of these ladies' generous gift of youtube knowledge. I want to know... how did anyone ever learn to do anything before internet?? Wish I had better pics to share of my final product. Commence Photo Booth parade!





12 comments:

chelsea said...

Oh my gosh, it is so cute! I am way jealous. When I had long hair I tried and tried for the heidi (as well as for the perfect top knot) but my hair was just too fine or something. My braids always looked more like Laura from Little House on the Prairie than Heidi of the Alps.

Aya Smith said...

Oh, I miss wearing the heidi braid! I think my hair is almost as long as it is in that video, maybe I can start wearing it again :))

Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

This Charming Style said...

Aww wow it looks sooo super pretty! xx

Bad Joan said...

It turned out so cute!! Especially with your outfit.

GTBB,
http://badjoan.blogspot.com
http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i think i'm going to try this today :) i've tried before but never thought to start them at the ear for shorter hair. genius :) they look awesome.

STYLE MARMALADE said...

Oh you really look super extra ultra cute on this hair style! love it! Totally suits you :)

lin said...

it looks awesome!! the hairstyle really suits you :)

btw what's your email? I was gonna email you the photos from monday night, lemme know!

Ena said...

Oh, you look so adorable with the heidi braid. And I'm impressed how beautifully you managed it. I think I'm too clumsy to do it but felt like giving it a try!

*Ena*

Style Dilettante said...

So pretty you look! I know, thank goodness for youtube tutorials! That's how I recently learned to make a Gif and a fishtail braid!

http://www.inherentstylela.com/

Marella said...

You look sooooo cute dear!

Rowan | R E D R E I D I N G H O O D said...

WOW, thanks for sharing! Love these braids!

Loves,
Rowan

www.redreidinghood.com

Linda Bennett said...

yay! you did it! so cute, my heidi chinese loverrr... miss you!

hop on