Tuesday, January 10, 2012

ellis island chic

Photobucket
I think I need to take it more seriously when my outfits inspire comments like "You're looking very Russian Immigrant today." I'm the first to admit that I can't resist a long hemline, or that wrapping a scarf around one's head sounds like a perfectly acceptable way to keep warm to me... but I should probably be mindful that I am treading on dangerous ground when I throw fingerless gloves into the mix. All I can really say when faced with all this logic is, whateva. Babushkas can be hot. And these clothes just happen to be perfect for chasing down children all day. Russian grannies know wussup!


Photobucket
Russian immigrant sisters at Ellis Island circa 1906 (source) and myself circa 2012. Ok I am beginning to see the resemblance...

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket
Wearing:
Hat and dress (worn as shirt) bought in Korea
Skirt: Vintage, I think bought at Clothing Warehouse warehouse
Thrift store tights
Minnetonka fringe trampers
Fingerless gloves a gift from my ma

11 comments:

Leslie Quiros said...

hahah you still look gorge.. I don;t think kids will be running from you. At least not now. I love those gloves :) what a statement!
xo,
LMQ

Marie said...

Love that green hat, the shot of the back of it shows lovely detail~
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

moonshinejunkyard said...

you look SO CUTE. i adore this whole outfit; the ellis island look rocks. those ladies knew what was up. practicality and beauty.

Lydia Armstrong said...

Sometimes when I'm walking down the street, I realize I'm dressed very similarly to the homeless people in my neighborhood. Such is life.

chelsea said...

Tee hee. All you need is an apron to complete the look!

Rachel Louisa. said...

The title of this post made me grin. I love it! And fingerless gloves are actually one of the best inventions ever. My love calls mine my "Jud Nelsons" - I think I do go around looking a bit Breakfast Club rather often... Haha. xx

JEAN-PIERRE said...

looking good

Isabel Bianchi said...

Love this and your previous look!! The fingerless gloves are sooo cute!! I think I would have wear them with other kind of shoes! But you look perfect!!
xoxo
MY LITTLE SUEDE SHOES

Angelina said...

no matter what, this is a nice outfit.

Anonymous said...

So nice you have your own unique style. And you seem to be so cute :)

STYLE MARMALADE said...

this really made me smile. This is what I will call Russian Immigrant chic look ;) I bet we will se it in all the fashion shows around the globe for next season! love the post! really made me laught :)

hop on