Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resurrecting Outfits


Shirt: H&M
Skirt: Homemade by yours truly! Fabric thrifted.
Socks: I've had'em forever.
Shoes: Thrifted!

I've said before that I think fashion is something that can be accomplished with environmental low impact. Fancy phrase, simple concept: mass production of assembly line clothing is an extremely wasteful industry. And I'm not saying it's realistic to never buy another department store item again (sometimes you have to preserve the environment of your wallet, which prefers to be lush and green ;~D), but going to the thrift store is even more fun AND even cheaper than other kinds of shopping. Wearing used clothing is almost on par with recycling clothing. You can find unique, one of a kind items that you ADORE and also save them from taking up space in a landfill by selflessly donating space in your closet. Also, you can be sure not to run into someone on the street wearing the same thing as you... That's one way to instantly go from loving a blouse to feeling like you came off an assembly line yourself.


(This is Laverne & Shirley, one of my favorite Nick and Night shows growing up.)

Staples like plain colored shirts and tights and stuff are great from H&M and Forever 21, so cheap and they are frequently refreshing their floor so you're less likely to run into girls in class wearing the exact same shirt. That seems to happen if you shop at Abercrombie or Gap where they (at least in the past) refresh their inventory less frequently, but then that seems to also be part of the appeal? I don't know. It seems to me like that look hasn't changed in ten years. When I went to College of Charleston, this was pretty much the standard uniform, and it doesn't appear from looking at the Abercrombie website that much has changed...


I mean, check out this "selection" of flip flops. How can a girl live without a pair of each??



Scrap fabric can also be gotten super cheap at the thrift store, and some of it is pretty cute! I made the bluebird skirt years ago from a cheap fabric. Maybe I horde thriftstore fabric a little too often, though, seeing as I seem to own more fabric than I have space for, not to mention more ideas than I have time or talent for, ha ha.


Being a pack rat is environmentally friendly! Self-delusion, maybe, but you can remix some articles a million times. I have had those socks for years and they are still going strong! I can't say if they are working, though... a woman in Centennial Park kept saying "there's no place like home, there's no place like home" every time I walked by.



Yikes, I suppose I am a bit Dorothy with the socks and the pumps and the puffed white sleeves and the blue skirt...I guess I can see her point!!

No comments:

hop on