Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Home again, home again, jiggity jog

What’s better than shopping in your own closet? Shopping in your relatives’ closets!! While I was traveling for spring break, I hit up Louisville Kentucky, a surprisingly adorable and liberal town for, well, Kentucky, most of the citizens posessing way more teeth than I expected! Just kidding all you Kentuckians, especially Aunt Ellen. I wish I had better and more pictures, but I had to make do with what was available. You'll see more of the stuff I got when I incorporate it into outfits in the coming weeks!

Speaking of my aunt, maybe a love for vintage is genetic because my aunt made sure to load me up with plenty of vintage treasures from her closets that she swore she couldn’t wear anymore. My favorite scores include two jackets from the 1940’s, a cute pink one with the classic vampish silouhette, and a beautiful asian-inspired a-line jacket that is so gorgeous and delicate that I’m almost afraid to wear it. I transported my suitcase at the airport with the care you might expect from an overwrought mother with a stroller.
This is a candid picture of me at an art gallery in Louisville. I'm wearing the pink 1940's jacket.

The local vintage shopping, while not free and from my aunt’s closet, was also nothing to sneeze at. When I visit Louisville I always make sure to stop in my favorite vintage shop Elizabeth’s to see what’s new (or old, as it were). Being what my family refers to as “birthday week” I paid for very little on my own, but came away with some gems, including this amazing hat which I wore everywhere to battle the cold, and these cute little 50’s slacks that remind me of Audrey Hepburn.

   

I didn’t just binge on shopping. Of course no trip to the North East is complete without a visit to the friendly neighborhood White Castle!
Photobucket
And before I knew it, it was time to go to Cincinnati to visit my grandmother and try to stuff even more food into my already cake-bloated body. Graeter’s Ice cream is the other traditional North East Must Eat, and you can see why with the size of this chocolate chip... 
...and the chips are soft and oh so melt in your mouth chocolatey. (By the way, I know I am biased, but as far as grannies go, isn’t mine the cutest?)

And is it just me, or do you love thrifting in other cities? I know thrift stores are all kind of the same in their method and stock, but I get true pleasure from exploring the Good Will’s of other towns and have a favorite thrift store near my Grandma’s house. And whether or not foreign thrift store superiority is all in my imagination, the Cincinnati thrift stores were generous in their bounty this trip. I found a dreamy pair of Unisa brand T-Straps that had never been worn, as well as this cute peter-pan collared blouse! Maybe it was just the birthday gods smiling down their birthday luck.

Blouse: Thrifted in Cincinnati
Cardi: target
Jeans rolled into highwaters: F21
Shoes: Thrifted
Despite all the shopping and eating and presents, it was a relief to be back home. Yet another pair of T-Straps, these ones vintage from Etsy, were waiting to welcome me home when I got there. 
A little lower heeled and more sensible for daytime than the Unisa pair, they inspired today’s sort of 40’s outfit... if only I could make my hair cooperate into a 40’s ‘do as well!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Shirt: F21
necklace: Thrifted in Cincinnati
key pin: antique store in Louisville
Skirt: Vintage, thrifted
Jacket: thrifted on a different trip to Cincinnati
T-straps: Vintage from etsy
Purse: Given to me by a friend who was sick of it.

This satisfying week behind me, I now look forward to catchcing up on all my favorite blogs and maybe finding a little time for some school work in there somewhere too!

13 comments:

Em said...

Oh great finds!! Love the hat with the feathers and also your pink heels. I hope you had fun in Kentucky. White Castle is the best and im going to stop rambling now ;p

xoxo
p.s. is that true about m.i.a.?! I guess that would kinda explain the lyrics to paper planes with the visas and all. idk thats so weird.

Em said...

Oh i almost forgot! Thanks for the tips on my red polo. I like all those ideas!!!

Eyeliah said...

Oh so fun! I love the new pieces you brought home, can't wai to see more detail of that pink jacket!! Your smile is always so nice too, I need to smile more!!! :-)

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

I love that green bag!

Bisous,
La C.

JOANNA said...

think my favorite is the outfit by in the doctor's office. 1)because it's in a doctor's office and 2)because you look so damn cute in it!

muchlove said...

What gorgeous finds! I especially love those shoes.

Great blog!

Eda said...

That hat is amazing. I can't wait to see you wearing it!

Couture Carrie said...

Love your style and your vintage finds, especially that pink jacket!

xoxox,
CC

chelsea said...

Your grandmother is just darling, I must say.
I like thrifting in other cities, sure, but I really like my usual haunts. I know how they work. I know where to look for things (like at my Value Village: vintage dresses are always getting mixed in with the regular dresses and other vintage mavens never seem to look there.)
AND I love that pink jacket, I can't wait to see it more fully. Shopping in relatives closets IS the best. I do it with my mum's every time I go home. And my grandma has this hat collection you would not believe. She won't let me take them all yet, but I have dibs.

AsianCajuns said...

Sounds like an absolutely awesome trip! I love those t-straps- and yes, your granny is the cutest!

Violet Folklore said...

this was like taking a mini-vacation just reading this! i have never been to any of these places, so thank you for sharing. i love when women talk about their travels, cause they included all the shopping- which is my fave part! i saw a whole show on TV once that was two grandmas traveling around the world, talking about history and all that fun stuff, but seriously HALF the show was them shopping. i loved it!!! (:

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading erre'body! It makes me so happy to find out that there are other people out there who like grannies and their stuff... And Violent Folklore... a travel show about two grandmas shopping around?!?! Sounds like my dream show!! Haha!

Jen said...

I love the contrast between your pink outfit and the more 'work' outfit :) I'm also on the hunt for some low t strap heels and yours are perfect!!

hop on