Sunday, March 22, 2009

Attention Atlanta Vintage Lovers

Vintage sale at 600 Memorial on the corner of Memorial and Boulevard, Thursday-Saturday starting at 10:00 am!!!

I love days that remind me that I really do have guardian angels, and that they want me to be well dressed. Today I was with my buddy Leon and we happened to drive by people setting up what looked like AMAZING clothing in the parking lot of an abandoned tire store called “Blessing Tires.”



Turns out, it was Clara Jackson and her son unloading vintage things from her warehouses; 

 
(the lovely Mz. Jackson)

She used to own a vintage shop on Edgewood and is now officially leaving the vintage business and getting rid of all her stuff. Out of her truck. On the corner of Memorial and Boulevard. Just waiting for the chance antique clothing fancier to drive by! It's like a lemonade stand, but much tastier.




Everything is between 5 and 20 dollars and she will be returning to that spot every day until everything is gone. It makes me sad that she is closing up shop for good... she started this project as soon as the economy took its turn for the worse, and she and her son couldn’t be nicer! He was picking things out to show me and  being my official zipper-upper and outfit-complimenter. I walked away with a wallet somewhat lighter in bills and arms somewhat heavier in vintage treasures. A trade I was happy to make.

Here is some of the stuff I came away with:


Brown canvas little-girl dress. I am going to wear it as a shirt.

40’s-50’s sailor inspired blue cotton dress.



Red sequined 80’s mini dress. I need a red dress for a Chinese wedding. This may be it!

20’s summer hat.

Blue and white striped purse.

Vintage earrings.


Hurry! It’s on the corner of Memorial and Boulevard in Down Town Atlanta!


Hat: Vintage, Blessing Tires Memorial and Blvd

White tank: Remixed.

Pants: Thrifted several years ago. I rolled them up a few inches when I was inspired by Painfully Hip's post about harem pants.

Purse: Vintage, Blessing Tires Memorial and Blvd.

Vintage penny loafers: Thrifted.

Belt: Antique.

24 comments:

chelsea said...

Oh! You are such a lucky duck!
I love that blue dress. Just darling.

Rhiannon said...

Thanks so much for telling me about this! I just went right now but it must have been too late because the lot was empty . . . . but I'm definitely going tomorrow!

That blue dress you found is just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What great bargains! Too bad the store had to close though...that's too sad...
I"m loving the 20's summer hat. I'd love to have a piece like that to use it for photoshoots

xoxo
Mimi

Unknown said...

I know, it was the best day ever, one of those lucky days!

Rhiannon-- Oh good I'm glad you're going to go! I went around lunch time on Saturday so maybe that would be a good time. Also, I probably don't have to tell you this, but be prepared to be a slightly defensive shopper-- as nice as they are they are a weee bit pushy but she's super nice and let me go owing her five bucks. I have her card, too :~) Good luck!!

Rhiannon said...

Ooh, thanks! The funny thing is I just realized that we passed this sale yesterday . . . I remember seeing that green mannequin with the funny black tape! So I'm going to go around lunch time for sure tomorrow . thanks again for telling me about it!

Couture Carrie said...

Love your finds, esp. the hat and purse - divine! And you look fab in your harem pants!

xoxox,
CC

Eyeliah said...

oh goodness! it is so sad to see lovely stores go under! You picked some lovely pieces though. :-)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Great pics. Look at all those dresses and hats! I wish I could go shopping there. :)

muchlove said...

Everything looks amazing! I'm so jealous.

Diane said...

You lucky girl!! I wish vintage sales like this happened in my town.

You found such great stuff and I love that brown canvas dress/top you got.

Danielle said...

ooh, so great, I love that bag!! i wonder if they will still be there this weekend.....

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies! It is sad to see lovely stores, especially vintage stores, go under like this even though I did reap some benefits... it saddens me because I have dreams of opening up vintage shops one day so I hate to see them failing!!!

I bet things like this DO happen in your town, Diane! You just have to be in the right place at the right time :~)

And Fell4fashion, I talked to the lady the other day and she will definitely be there next weekend, thursday through saturday so make sure you catch it!

Jen said...

Oh wow!! This just looks amazing, i think i would have bought everything!! I wish we had things like this in NZ.

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

I absolutely adore that red sequinned mini dress!

xoxo,
La C.

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

I'm terribly afraid of spending so much on a bag too, afraid of scuffing it! But in the end it is worth it!!

Bisous,
La C.

Diane said...

Oh no, I haven't updated the store yet so that little gingham dress will be up this weekend!

Violet Folklore said...

AAAAA! Amazing scores! I love the little girl dress/big girl top and that hat!!!
Continue to love your blog...

~Amber

Allie said...

Great haul!! I'm loving that 80's dress. It'll be perfect for a Chinese wedding. Trust a Chinese person :)

Meaghan Kelly said...

i'm so jealous of this sale! it seems wonderful!
you pull off the pants so well! and that hat is wonderful!
i've tagged you with a little blog award because yours is so fantastic! you don't have to do anything with it, just passing on the love!
xo

Unknown said...

That looks like paradise! I wish I still lived in Georgia.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for reading everybody, and for my first award Meaghan!! And I'm so glad you think the 80's dress is good for a chinese wedding, Hot Bot, I've been wanting the advise from a real live chinese person... I don't want to be too flashy as I'll probably draw enough attention to myself as token whitey, but I do love the dress so I'm glad you think it's appropriate :~)

Violet Folklore said...

what a treasure trove!!!! so glad you got to partake of the goodness.... it makes it hurt a LITTLE less that i couldn't be there (hate to miss a good sale, y'know!)

Thanks so much for the sweet words about our shop, i'm glad you enjoy browsing, it feels good to know that we make people happy even if they can't buy (and i sure know what it's like to be in THAT position! my crazy Starving Artist lifestyle has had me an 'Economic Recession' for decades now! hee hee!)

love your blog, especially how you mix up online images with our own outfits... like your high-waisted shorts! geez! i need to start going into Forever 21 more often! i didn't know they were hiding THOSE in there...

hope a happy spring breeze is blowing your way today!!!

(: Sasha

SOS! said...

oooh fun! I love those thrifted pants!
xx-LJ from SOS!

Anonymous said...

ummm... AMAZING! my heaven. your outfit also falls into this catagory. and also, nice tattoo ;)

hop on