Friday, May 11, 2012

put a sock in it.

Your hair, that is. 

A friend told me about this super easy trick to get a perfect ballerina bun and easy curls. Wear the bun all day then take it down to have lustrous curls for the evening. Or wear the bun out at night, sleep in it, and enjoy bouncing curls the next day! 


1. Cut off the tube part of a tube sock and roll up into a donut shape. 
2. Place sock around end of pony tail and slowly roll it up towards your head.
3. Fold hair into sock as you roll, creating the same donut shape with your hair.
4. Voila! You have a perfect bun! 
5. Take the bun out many hours later to enjoy cascading curls.


I prefer putting the bun near the crown of my head, so I start with a very high pony tail and slightly damp hair. I wore the bun at work all day and slept in it, which is surprisingly comfortable. 

Once in the hair-down phase, I actually found my curls a little too 80s full (I have very thick hair, this might not happen with all hair types), so I pulled them back with a ribbon for a tamer feel. I am so full of ideas now for different ways to use this trick; Like using multiple child's socks for tighter curls, or starting with a side pony or pigtails!

I hope you will try out the sock bun and let me know how it goes.

9 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

i've been doing this too! you can see it here as a bun, but i can never get it as tight as yours...or maybe my hair is just too gd long! http://moonshinejunkyard.blogspot.com/2012/02/motherly-love-and-sunshine.html
and....
http://moonshinejunkyard.blogspot.com/2012/02/double-sweets.html

and i think these might be the curls i get, not nearly as boingy as yours! i'm jealous!
http://moonshinejunkyard.blogspot.com/2012/02/candy-rocker.html
i like the way my hair ends up full and a little bouncy, but the curls never stay. i might have to try your small sock idea!

Rachel Louisa. said...

This is such a great idea, and nice and simple for people like me who tend to have a rather lazy approach to hairdos :D Mine is also pretty thick, part of the reason I tend to either leave it loose or just go for a pony tail. I'll have to try this out!

I love the Sendak interview so much, thank you for sending it my way! Hope my latest mix hit the post-work decompression spot. xo

chelsea said...

It is posts like these that make me wish I had long hair and I hate long hair.
In reply to your comment: I totally found Betsy as is. They had her in all white too, but it reminded me of the ghost bikes, left in tribute to dead bicyclists, that litter the Chicago streets. Purple is much cheerier.

Marlen said...

Ok, this is the best lazy idea ever. Haha i hate standing in front of the mirror for 30 minutes doing my hair, and this right here gives you a pretty ballerina bun and curls in just 2 minutes. Great tip :)

STYLE MARMALADE said...

Oh this looks great! I can't wait to have longer hair to try it!
p.s: I'm not moving to Mexico, still in England :)

Danny said...

it looks amazing, thank's for sharing. I've to try this!

Grazziella said...

It's a great idea, love it, it's beautiful
Nice blog
Bisous from France

AsianCajuns (Lar) said...

Your hair looks gorgeous all curly like that! I know what you mean about the 80s hair thing though. Cath and I have the same thick hair and it does the same think if we bun-it or braid-it.
Hope you are having a fabuloso week, lady!
xoxox,
Lar

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

What a great idea! I used to do this (not with a sock) but cut my hair off. Can't wait to be able to do this kind of stuff again!

hop on