Friday, July 31, 2009

How to tie 40s scarf

I didn't even think to include a "how to" on my last post about 40s style scarves, but Eyeliah from Style Symmetry nicely asked me to elaborate so here is  my "tutorial." I'm no vintage hair genius like some people; in fact, I just kind of made this up so I have no idea if this is how they really did it. But it works for me so I might as well share! If you try this out, you might have to play with different scarf sizes and ways to tuck it in but eventually you'll get it and add your own flare too!

Step one: Fold scarf into triangle.


Step two: Put triangle over your messy overgrown backwoods bush of a head, pointy part towards forehead.  I have a small scarf so I am staying behind my ears, but you can also go over your ears which is more authentic.


Step three: Bring other two corners around to front.


Step four: Tie loose ends over triangle point. At this stage, you might need to adjust, maybe pull middle part forward more, or for bigger scarves tuck in the extra fabric on top. You can also pin flaps down.


Step five: Tie ends in a bow or tuck them in along sides. Adjust bangs to your taste, stuff offending loose hairs beneath scarf. With bigger scarves, if the middle part is going too far over your forehead, you can fold it back and hold it in place with a broach or pin.


Step six: Await the emergence of your inner smokin 1940's vixen. Feel fabulous. Do house chores or put rivets in a metal sheet. 


Taa daa!

Photobucket

19 comments:

Mars said...

yay this was so helpful :D!! thanks for doing that! you look adorable too, love the jumpsuit :)

Isabel said...

Sweet! I would've had no idea how to diy a turban.

Eyeliah said...

Oh thanks so much! You make i look so easy and I cannot wait to try it myself. You are such a sweetheart. :-)

Unknown said...

Glad you girls like it, I hope you really will try it Eyeliah! Hopefully by then I'll be able to comment on your blog again :~)

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

i love tutorials! thanks for showing us. i just got a new scarf last wednesday, and i think i might try it out in this style =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Diary of a Young Designer said...

Ooo! So cool! I got some cool scarves on sale so I'm off to try this now! Thanks so much for sharing!!

xo
Sophie

PS: you look ultra cute in that last pic!

DaisyChain said...

I love you for this post

Unknown said...

this is so useful and fantastic, thank you! x

hannah, heart city said...

i love this! i really would never have figured it out on my own. can't wait to try it out! great blog you got here :)

chelsea said...

Oo, I'm totally doing to try this tomorrow. I have so many lovely scarves and have always been at a loss how to wear them all. Thanks!

Unknown said...

omg so cute! ...and I LOVE entire look at the end!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Cute; love the sandals.

AsianCajuns said...

You are too, too cute! The tutorial is perfect- I always end up wrangling with my scarves and get defeated. I'll have to try this when I scrub my bathroom out tonight (I'd rather be riveting ;)

Jessicaisgoo said...

Oh wow, this looks really cute. I think I will have to give it a try now too.

Eyeliah said...

hey where'd you go? we miss you!

Anonymous said...

You are so cute! I love your store!

Violet Folklore said...

oh my gosh!! i never realized there was a trick... that explains it!!! thank you sooooooo much!!!! (-; Sasha

cerize said...

oh thanks for this tutorial! I love your "vintage" style^^ bisou!

Anonymous said...

Oh How cute

hop on