Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fashion Undead or Off With Its Head??

I had so much fun reading everyone's reactions to the 1996 shirt from my last Fashion Undead or Off With Its Head post that I couldn't wait to do another one! Since that stupid free online poll I made didn't work at all, this time I decided to load the pictures onto Chictopia with their poll tool. I would love it if you'd head over there and vote, and if you aren't a Chictopia user, why don't you go ahead and sign up? It is fuuunnn!

FASHION UNDEAD OR OFF WITH ITS HEAD?

Without further ado, I present to you the 
Silky Lavender Sexy Granny 1970s Jump Suit



It has a beaded embellishment up the right shoulder, a plunging v-neck, and ties together at the nape of the neck with a string leaving the back slightly open. It's also got an elastic waist that ties at the left hip and sweet deep pockets to boot! I found it at Bargain City Thrift store. One look at those long flowy pants connected to long flowy sleeves in that outrageously powdery purple color and I knew this thing was coming home with me. It was just too crazy of a garment not to be mine!

The applique reminds me of Laverne from the show Laverne and Shirley. I bet she would have worn this jumpsuit on a night out!

As much as I love it for the novelty and the fun factor of skipping around the apartment in it, the garment is a bit big on me and I know that liquid lavender is not my color. I do love a good one-piece outfit, but I've never worn this one out. Maybe it's a little matronly and grandmotherly, maybe a bit awkward and dorky. What do you think? To help you help me decide, here it is worn a few different ways:

Plain and simple as-is:



Scrunched sleeve and harem pant bottom. (PS. the way to acheive that harem pant MC Hammer Pants look with a baggy cuff is to pinch it tight around your ankle then fold it up a few turns so it sticks in place)



Sleeves and slacks rolled up to be more like a romper.


Now I turn to you dear reader. Does this old jumpsuit have the potential to live again as some classy lady's cocktail attire? Or is this the kind of 70's polyester evil that should be banished to the grave for eternity? Give your two cents. Be brutal. Go to Chictopia and vote in the poll. 

15 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Oh this j-suit is fabulous, darling! I especially love it rolled like in the last few pics ~ you look magnificent!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

Oh, I'd TOTALLY wear it! IT's fabulous! I like it styled best just under the knee ...but if ever you wished, you could snip off the pants and make it a top/tunic :) it's great!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I kinda like it...but it also really reminds me of pjs. I think with some accessories it could be modernized...

Lisa said...

I like the second way you wore it, looks very sweet. It does look a little pajama-y, but still very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Love it as a romper - you wear it so well!

Definitely could be reworked into a gorgeous silk cocktail dress...strapless, perhaps?

Unknown said...

question: where did you get those shades? they're bloody gorgeous.

i love the shape of this number. there's one thing i'm not crazy about it: the sheen. sheen is nice but when it's so much sheen, it's tricky. i love it but i'll have to wear it with something to mute the sheen.

DaisyChain said...

oh god I love it

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

Yes, of course! It would be stunnningg with a pair of strappy black platform heels!

bisous,
La C.

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

i absolutley love it! if you plan to get rid of it, i would be happy to buy it from you! =) (seriously)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

starshine said...

I think the concept is great, but it is just too big and billows in all of the wrong places. You have such a great figure, and it gets lost in the fabric... maybe if you created it into a romper or top... sorry! :(

yiqin; said...

Way too adorable! The color suits you so well too.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I like your idea of aliens as their form of NASA...though usually in our films they're sort of like our military since they often attack us now that I think of it...

Isabel said...

I think my favourite look with it is the romper one. You should hack off the legs, and turn it into a shorts jumpsuit!
P.S. This feature is pretty much genius - bring on more fashion undead!

Eyeliah said...

I do like it, the color and that it's low cut and open back up the sex appeal which makes it hot. Nothing a granmother would wear. I say wear it for a night out in look #1 - so fun. and perfect for any 70s party too.

La Mimi said...

Wow! I just love lavender on you...it's definitely your color:) Oh, I guess you are a summer after all:)

xoxo
Mimi

hop on