Thursday, July 23, 2009

40s Factory Inspiration



Let's talk about my hair woes. Although I love the pixie cut, the truth of the matter is that it lacks variety. I miss the days when I could choose different hair styles to suit my mood-- braids, curls, half ponytails, headbands, barretts, hair accessories in general... The nice thing about this haircut is that it looks good messy, a must for lazy people like me, but sometimes I don't feel like being messy. Sometimes I want to look put together and yet still the busy lady I am. 

Which is why I have been borrowing looks from the busy working ladies of the wartime 40s! What better way to hide your hair on off-days while still looking sharp and expressing yourself? It's amazing how wrapping a piece of cloth around your head can slice right through the monotony of seeing your reflection with the same old haircut every day. I'm sure people who know me from flickr have already noticed my newfound devotion to the 40s/50s headscarf turban seeing as I rarely leave the house without one these days. At least I know my friends and coworkers have noticed, as I have been receiving lots of "I Love Lucy" references.

    

I absolutely love the headscarfs and turbans popularized during and after World War II. Not just for the I Love Lucy washer woman, you can see how chic they could really be in these high fashion photographs. The last picture came from Vogue in 1953, but like so many trends, the headscarf really came into play for practical reasons. 



At the beginning of WWII, women were encouraged to come work in the factories to help fill the labor gap left by enlisted men, and the scarfs were worn simply as a method of keeping hair clean and out of machinery.  I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Rosie the Riveter image, which captured my imagination growing up (particularly the Norman Rockwell painting), and indeed headscarfs like hers became the symbol of the Woman Ordinance Worker (W.O.W) and a source of pride. Check out these other propaganda posters of the time period that inspired contemporary women of the 1940s as well as myself!




But probably most inspiring of all are the real live Rosies that actually populated the factories! These propaganda posters and the amazing color photographs below are from the Library of Congress, which I highly recommend for perusal if you're an old picture lover like me. What would it have been like to go from a shut-away house wife to an empowered figure of strength with a real patriotic duty to fulfill? It must have been exciting. I'm sure the real issue came in trying to send these ladies back to the kitchens once the war was over. How could you ever find pastry baking interesting after building fighter planes?





Not that I have anything on these tough cookies, but I like to think I can channel at least some of their energy and attitude by wearing my fun versions of their serious headgear. To spice it up, I've been adding vintage pins and even made some poor attempts at pincurls, although I don't know how they achieved those amazing fluffy bangs peeking out. 




If you're having a bad hair day, try a turban on for size! I highly recommend some 40's factory Inspiration.

23 comments:

muchlove said...

I really like that headscarf style, and I love the accessories you added to them. Clever!

Violet Folklore said...

KATIE! I have been a very bzzzy little summer bee (okay, alternating between manic busy-ness and heroic lethargy) and i have totally not caught up on your blog for like a month. I just indulged myself for the past hour reading all that I'd missed and I just have to say, girl, you have a GIFT for this. when i read your blog, i laugh my ass off, my mind comes alive with curiosity about history and culture and design, and even though you are a Human Pixie and pure eye candy in every photo, i somehow feel good about myself-- maybe even BETTER-- after i'm done reading. who does that better than you? just sayin'. you are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so happy you do this blog, and one day you should do your own magazine. seriously. think about it. (-; Sasha

Violet Folklore said...

p.s. SO into the headpieces. so into them. gonna rut through my closet PRONTO.

Marie said...

So fun! I have always loved the Rosie poster, but those photos are wonderful! Love your new do- show us some bicep.
:)

Amber said...

Ohhh I love the knotted turban look! And it looks so lovely on you! I'm not sure I could pull it off or even know how to tie it. And where did you find that huge skeleton key?!

Mars said...

What a great post! You look super adorable in the scarves :) Love the little embellishments, too xD!

Anonymous said...

Love the Vogue photos, so chic! I could never pull something off like this, but you've mastered the look perfectly! I love the vintage feel you infuse into all your outfits.

Isabel said...

I quite like your pixie cut, but those brooch turbans are rad!

And the husband in that poster looks like a really big d-bag.

Unknown said...

brilliant post, girl. i know what you mean, which is why i'm in 2 minds about chopping off my hair. and the hair posts in blogospheres lately are not helping! argh.

Eyeliah said...

Zombie, this is such the best post, I tweeted it. :-) I have no idea how to do this type of tie or what shape scarf to use. I would love LOVE if you would do a tutorial on it as well? I could so see myself wearing this bejewelled like you.

Wanderlusting said...

Very cute _ i love this look on women so much but think it looks ridic on me...I have a small head :(

Did you get your package yet?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Especially love the cheetah one!

Andrea said...

These pictures are awesome. Interestingly enough a local musician has used the top libray of congress picture on the back of her latest album and a few similar ones (Bachelorette's - My Electric Family). They are very cool.

Diary of a Young Designer said...

I like your hairstyle! It's a great hair-do for summer weather. Love how you did the bandana thing, super cute. Don't worry your, hair will be long enough soon to be able to use more accessories!

xo
Sophie

Unknown said...

you're adorable...
:)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Wonderful post! I love all the inspiration pics you posted and your own style of it. You look so adorable with your hair like that.
P.S. Thank you for all your sweet comments. On the meeting a blog reader one--it was my secret hope that she would read that post and maybe understand I wish I had been more friendly...but I just fail at that! :)

AsianCajuns said...

What an awesome post! Cath and I totally need to wear our scarves like that!
ps- I drove right through Sylva this past weekend on my way to camping and shared your Sylva post with my camping crew. Such an awesome area! Thanks for blogging about it ;)

Hadley said...

I looove your hair!
And lovely turban ideas...I may have to try one out!

Amelia said...

This is such a cute style! It looks wonderful on you. I wish I could make it work so well for me.

Stain On My Red Shoes said...

Super! Your take on the 40s factory outfit is really great! love your first and third outfits best. and the headscarf is a perfection!

Stain On My Red Shoes said...

Super! Your take on the 40s factory outfit is really great! love your first and third outfits best. and the headscarf is a perfection!

Anonymous said...

I gave you an award on my blog today! :)

Jessicaisgoo said...

I really love the old photos and the way you have worn the headscarf.

hop on