Friday, May 8, 2009

Thrift Around Town


I know it doesn't look like much, but Last Chance Thrift Store in Decatur has been a favorite for many years. It might be missing an 'L' but what it isn't missing is every crazy thing you've ever dreamed of stumbling upon on a thrifting adventure! Located off of Church Street, this ugly green-roofed building (it used to be purple) is nestled between Indian grocery stores and mattress supply outlets, and behind it's somewhat-functional automatic doors (harkening it's past life as a supermarket) is a world of moth ball scented treasures. 

The prices are right-- every day has some half off deals and on Mondays EVERYTHING is half off! I'm particularly fond of their shoe selection, most of the ones in my closet purchased at this very thrift store. 

Most pairs are under $5.oo, so on Mondays you really can't go wrong. But what I really love more than shoes (if that's even possible) are the random unexpecteds that crop up in this store! Their messy aisles of trinkets and tchotchkies are magical. I could spend all day sorting through the funny old lady-ish dish sets or rooting through the bins of throw pillows and fabrics. This is where I have found almost all of my picture frames and often the contents.

Last week, I found this lamp.

It was a little busted but I have crafty technologically smart people in my life and it was only a matter of electrical tape to get this baby shinin'!

I also found this boaters hat.


I swear I wasn't even looking for a boater hat, but when I saw this one there for less than a buck, could I really turn the poor thing down? It was actually someone's souvenir hat from Venice; I saw them all over the place when I visited there, so I just pulled off the corny gondola ribbon and tied a (probably familiar to you by now) scarf around instead.

Hat: Last Chance.
Shoes: Last Chance.
Shorts: Last Chance.
Top: I wish I could remember!
Bag: Clothing Warehouse in Little Five Points.
Jewelry: All thrifted and antiqued.

With these kinds of treasures waiting to be unearthed, you bet your behind I'll be there tomorrow for half of Mondays! Last Chance Thrift Store, you receive two very meaningful thumbs up and the Zombie Lace seal of approval!
Top: My mom brought it back from China last year. (I am getting pumped for MY upcoming trip to China by wearing all my chinese clothes).
Shorts: Vintage 50's reversables, swapped.
Sandals: Target.

13 comments:

DaisyChain said...

I am seriously so jealous,
England lacks in decent thrift type stores,
well, where I live anyway.

Unknown said...

i love your finds. exactly what i'd get for myself and for the house. we don't have a strong thrifting culture here. we do have flea markets almost every weekend but finding real vintage things at flea prices is next to impossible.

Couture Carrie said...

Love your finds, especially that lamp! You look adorable in that hat too!

xoxox,
CC

Rhiannon said...

Ooh, I was there Monday too! My favorite is the vintage rack!!

Anonymous said...

You have given me your last chance thrift, now I give to you my Metro Thrift.

AsianCajuns said...

Literally we can walk there from our apartment in five minutes ;)
Genius buys! I can't believe you found a boater hat there!

ps- I think they are getting ready to move to Suburban Plaza (North Decatur and Church).

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I want your hat!

yiqin; said...

I love your SHOES! Plus the hat is ace.

Unknown said...

omg that thrift shop looks AWESOME!

Unknown said...

DaisyChain- aww, I wish I could take you shopping with me!! You seem to make out okay from what I see on your blog, though :~)
Tom Tuttle-- I love flea markets too but that's something we lack, and you're right the clothes are much harder to find there.
Rhiannon-- I couldn't find the vintage rack when I was there this past monday! I like it too, good for lazy shopping, but sometimes they miss things so I like to explore the aisles.
Cortney- YESS! Although my heart is full of fear, I'm willing to venture to the unknown OTP for some amazing thrifting :~)
AsianCajuns-- Crazy that you live so near!! I did see the sign they were moving, and suburban plaza suits me just fine. When they move, they'll be five minutes walking from where I grew up at my parents' house! No foolin! :~)
Thanks so much everyone else-- I actually wish I could take you ALL shopping!! How amazing would that be??

Andrea Eames said...

Oh yay, you have a blog! I'm excited. :D And love your hat.

Andrea xx

breaking adeline said...

I was here on Saturday, thanks to your post, and found an amazing leather skirt for less than five dollars! Although my friend did have a harrowing experience with a woman who asked her to button her pants... she had an oozing boil on her hand..
Now, if I could just find a used bookstore in Atl with more than harlequin romance novels... ?

Ash said...

ohhhh wow!!! That Boaters Hat is so Lover!!!!!

hop on