Wednesday, April 4, 2012

heidi seek

With temperatures rising into the 80s, it is time to get that mess of hair OFF your neck! Heidi braids are a cute way of doing it. Your hair gets to ride around like it belongs to a Von Trapp daughter, which is fun for everyone! Until, you know, you have to flee into the Alps to avoid Nazi persecution...

This jumpsuit I found at a thrift store a long while back. (Click here to see it in 2009, rolled all the way into shorts, complete with a pixie cut!).  The trousers are actually an unflattering boot-cut that just kind of hangs there. Solutions: rolling them up, which doesn't always stay, or I suggest popping on two hair rubber bands to give it some elasticity without actually having to sew anything.

I'm certainly no expert, but if you'd like to try out the Heidi braid for yourself, check out my tips and some links to helpful video tutorials HERE!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Wearing:
Vintage jumpsuit
H&M Cardigan (worn inside out)
Minnetonka moccasins
Sunglasses from $10 store at Dallas airport

9 comments:

Lydia Armstrong said...

I love Heidi braids!! This was a favorite hairstyle of mine this past winter, and I'm feeling the need to bring it back after looking at this post. I'm constantly on the hunt for the perfect (cheap) jumpsuit. Good ones are so hard to find!! Oh, and I dug your flashback post. I too like to forget the bra when it's hot out, and I have D cups.

And yes, if you come to Richmond, I'll totally take you feasting!

moonshinejunkyard said...

so cute! i love the heidi braids too, for simple convenience and they make your hair look pretty when you take them down too. i think i first learned to do them by following your earlier links :)

that jumper rocks too. you are going to love this crazy pink plaid maternity jumper i thrifted, one of these spring days i'll be wearing and posting it!

Rachel Louisa. said...

The braids look so cute, makes me want to take a bit more time over my hair instead of just gathering it up in a messy bun. Love your sunnies as well.

AsianCajuns (Lar) said...

Your Heidi braids look perfect on you, Katie! I tried them out last year at the Decatur Arts Fest and got so many compliments. I agree that it's the perfect way to get hair off your neck in the heat -- something I don't do here in Scotland ;)
I love the rubber-banded jumpsuit too!
p.s. Thanks again for taking up this ethical clothing issue too! It makes me so happy to have a comrade/fashionista in arms ;)

Carolina Spínola said...

Adorei o penteado muito giro :)

Beijinhoos

Carolina Spínola said...

Adorei o penteado muito giro :)

Beijinhoos

STYLE MARMALADE said...

I love the hair style! I can't wait for hair to grow more so I could pull off this hair style which is my favourite at the moment, so Lolita :)

Isabel Bianchi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Isabel Bianchi said...

Oh!! I love your braids! I´d love to do them in my hair but it´s too short... :(
Your glasses are sooo nice!!
xoxo
MY LITTLE SUEDE SHOES

hop on