Monday, October 5, 2009

Fashion Undead or OFF WITH ITS HEAD?

If you're still out there, sorry for the radio silence! My mind has been brimming with post ideas, unfortunately my schedule and camera have not been so cooperative. So I thought I'd do another one of these features to get back into the swing of things and see if anyone is still interested! 

Today's featured item is kind of a tribute to the last breath of Summer:
The Funky and Fabulous (or Frumpy and Fugly?) High-Waisted Denim Shorts!

  

Usually I'm neutral or unsure about the clothes I put in Fashion Undead, but this week I have to admit I am biased in favor of these 80's shorts! I've worn them myself several times and always feel super giddy and fun when I have them on and ready for summer mischief. I actually had to wrestle with myself a bit to put them into the etsy shop, convinced that they would be scooped up instantly. Not so. In fact, no one so much as "hearts" them! This combined with the lukewarm responses of my friends and family whenever I say "Don't you love my shorts?" has got me reevaluating their awesomeness. 

They are obviously kind of dorky. The biker-short length with the lace, the high-waistedness with the pleats, let's just say it doesn't contribute to a sex-kitten silhouette. But am I the only one that thinks there's something kind of appealing about the dorkiness? They remind me of something a character from the Baby-Sitter's Club would wear while riding her bike in a safe, well-manicured suburb in 1989.


But of course the point of all this isn't to try and convert everyone into 80's shorts lovers, but to find out the opinions of all the varied stylish ladies and gents of the blogiverse! Do these shorts deserve a sentimental place in the denim history museum? Or should they be banished into an unmarked box in the basement for another 20 years?

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Fashion Undead or Off with their HEAD?? (Please visit these shorts at Chictopia to participate in the poll if you are so inclined).

21 comments:

Isabel said...

I have to say, I quite enjoy them! Keep them, especially if they make you feel fabulous! And the Baby-Sitter's Club reference doesn't hurt them any. ;)

Eyeliah said...

The no hearts could be the fact that it is the end of summer, relist in may and it will probably be a differnt story. ;) Nice to see you btw!!

Ashley said...

I love them. They are super funky, and like you said there is something to be said for their mild dorkiness. They're infact quite charming! Thay also seem to be pretty versitile which is always a good thing. I say keep them!

oh and I totally have that same avacado green suitcase!

Unknown said...

i'm saying this not cos vintage is trendy now. i actually wish people didn't wear so much of the same things i've been wearing... :P i find the shorts flattering. forget about whether it's from the 80s or 90s. i still wear them precisely cos they're flattering, not because the celebs or designers make them look good again.

Stéphanie said...

That's nice !

The pale observer said...

I must say - being a bit out of what's in myself - that these are NOT cool. Perhaps because I was a teen in the 80's and I lived through them once? I like your spirit though! But everything about the shorts is so... so... 80's!?

Cheers - a new fan - Holli in Ghana

AsianCajuns (Lauren) said...

Oh I do love them! They are like breath of fresh (/renewed) air after so much cut-off denim these last few years (I'm a victim of that trend for sure). I actually really like the volume in them- though I think you pull them off much better than I could ;)

Jm Diaz said...

The oddness of the shorts are their appeal ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I was beginning to wonder is you had decided to leave your site behind. I am glad to see you are back!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

They can look great sometimes, but they're hard to pull off!
P.S. I would be up for a meet-up, but I'm here visiting my sister so it is basically all about what she wants to do with me.

Unknown said...

Isabel-- I thought you might like them, I think we both enjoy ironic fashion statements.

Eyeliah-- Very true, I listed them in the middle of Summer when everyone already had their shorts collection.

Ashley Louise-- Thank you! And I love that suitcase!! It's my boyfriend's though and he took it back recently :~(

Tom Tuttle-- very wise, as always, I totally agree though not sure if they are quite "flattering" with the pleats, it can give one a "mom" belly I think haha.

Stéphanie-- Merci!!

Holli-- Ha ha ha, I'm sure growing up when these fashions were everywhere must have been scarring! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog all the way from Ghana!

Lauren-- I highly doubt there is anything you couldn't pull off if you felt like it :~)

JM-- Your blog is funny! Glad you like the shorts, and I may be a bad infrequent blogger but I think I'll keep doing it as long as sit remains this fun.

Rebecca-- I think the attitude is everything, the shorts have to make you feel confident or else people will notice you're uncomfortable. And I totally get if you're busy doing sister stuff all weekend but if you want to go on a lunch date or anything to an interesting part of town you've never been to before, let me know! Shoot me an email zombielace@gmail.com

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

AHHH I LOVE ITTTTT!!!

calivintage said...

i actually think they're pretty great. fun and playful as you said. i think if they were mine, i would probably tailor them to be tight-fitting and i'd wear them all summer long!

Aga said...

nice:)

Love + Cake said...

Okay, honestly? I DO like them, especially the lace on the bottom, but I think they would be a lot better in a darker wash.

Unknown said...

Thanks Chelsea and Sabath :~)

Cali and Maverick-- You both made me realize that the feel of these shorts could be easily recreated in a more stylish way! Put some lace on some similar more modern jeans and voila!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Ha-ha, I know. When I lived in HI I would get cold in the 70s, but now I'm adjusted to the 50s of WA fall. And it totally rained on me after those pics, but all my posts are actually on a day delay, so it was sunny then...

Violet Folklore said...

i love the fact that i have never seen a pair quite like these... maybe that's because they all got locked away by the fashion police, but, be that as it may, that makes them utterly individual. standing out is so hard these days, since even people on fashion's fringes have so much access to images of what other fringey peeps are wearing! so i vote to KEEP EM! though i guess you COULD tailor them, not that i am handy like that, but if they were tighter you would show off your lovely figure. (if you care! seems in the 80s fun took precedance over figure, and a lot more people danced back then.) (-; Sasha

Lauren Winter said...

say hello to your friends.. BABYSITTER'S CLUB!

you look ridiculously perfect. the shorts don't look frumpy, for real! how do you do it? because I'd be miserable. I think it helps having legs.

Kir said...

OMG, I loved the babysitters club! I still have most of the series somewhere in my bookshelves. Ahh, memories. I have the book that picture is from.
I like them. They're really cute!

Anonymous said...

You do them much more justice then I possibly could! They are a tough silhouette to pull off, but I like them how you've styled them here.

And of course, if you love a piece, keep it! Some say clothing is meant only to keep you warm/keep you from getting arrested - but we know, its mainly about making yourself happy! ;D

Love, Sarz

Thrift Monster said...

I did banish a pair of shorts similar to those long ago. But, if you like them, you should definitely keep them and wear them whenever you feel like getting into summer mischief Babysitter's club style. You never know, they might catch on and you'll be responsible for bringing back the style.

hop on