Friday, October 23, 2009

When Vintage Gets Personal: Joyce's Highschool Sweater

Photobucket

What really excites me about antiques and vintage clothing is the way they make me feel connected to the past. When I put on a wacky 80s prom dress, I think about the girl who picked it out 30 years ago and what her prom was like, who her date was, if she lost her virginity that night... Old hand mirrors and dolls from the turn of the century make me think of life as a little girl back then. Was it her favorite doll? What did she name it? What did she grow up to be and when did the doll pass from her possession? Usually the answers to these questions are left up to the imagination, but in some special cases an imprint of the individual is left behind. I love finding a book with a ticket stub in it or a personal note written on the inside cover.

I enjoy rooting through the boxes of old photographs in antique stores too, and on some level I feel sorry for the people in those pictures. I feel like they are lost in a way, with no record of who they were, where they were being photographed, or why their pictures are in this bin and not in a descendant's photo album somewhere. I also wonder: Will pictures of me someday end up in an unmarked box like this to either be thrown away or taken home by some stranger? As you can tell by the layout of my blog, I really cherish old photographs of my family. I hope when I'm gone, someone will cherish my photographs and the stories passed down about me.

Now get ready for the crazy part: I truly feel compelled to "rescue" these kinds of items from their unwanted anonymity. It depresses me to think that things that were once loved can end up forgotten and detached from their past. Like this box!

Photobucket


I found it at a thrift store outside Atlanta. When I opened it and saw the note on the inside, I absolutely had to adopt it.

Photobucket Photobucket


Poor Patty! What could have happened that this personalized gift from 1984 would end up on a junk shelf in 2009? Did Patty and her sister have a falling out? Did her sister die and the box got tossed out after the estate sale? Either way, you kind of have to laugh at the irony of finding a box inscribed "sisters forever" in an anonymous Value Village.

Photobucket


These Laura mugs are also from a thrift store. There is a small copyright dating them at 1976 and they look it! I like imagining Laura as a hip flower child, sipping tea form her psychedelic mugs in some kitschy, colorful apartment.

Photobucket

And then there's Joyce. I found her sweater in an antique store in NC and immediately had to snatch it up for the shop. When I was cleaning and examining it later, I noticed her little name tag pinned to the inside.

Photobucket


She also sewed up the sides to make a more snug fit. I was going to remove her not-so-professional alterations, but for some reason I just can't! More of my superstitious weirdness, but I feel like when I found the sweater, I found a piece of Joyce. To me, this little letterman sweater contains an imprint of a 1960s southern high school cheerleader, who smoked cigarettes behind the bleachers and kissed boys in backseats, and checked her hair in her compact mirror and ditched class with her friends. I'm responsible for her now and removing her name tag and alterations would somehow make her vanish completely! Is that crazy? Either way, I think she was a fun girl because I get this fun vibe whenever I put on her shirt.

Photobucket Photobucket


I really do feel like used clothing has a story to tell and deserves to be loved and remembered. Maybe that's why I'm so sentimental about the things I sell on etsy. Maybe this is creepy, but I always ask the buyers to send in a picture of themselves wearing the garment. Consider it like an adoption follow-up; I want proof that the relocated item has found a happy loving home across the country. It gives me tremendous piece of mind! I was so elated when one of my buyers actually did send a picture of herself in the dress she bought. Thank you, Heather!! (Psst. She also has a cute inexpensive etsy shop!)

Photobucket

16 comments:

Isabel said...

I bet Joyce was a pretty cool cat! A hep cat, even.

On the other hand, I own this one granny sweater that I bought at ValueVillage and it has a tag that says "Mary Sexsmith" with the name crossed out. It's pretty obvious that the nursing home donated her clothes to the thrift store after she died, so I prefer not to think of the past of some of my clothes and focus on giving the a rad future.

Charlotte. said...

such a lovely post, i like thinking about the stories behind vintage finds too!

chelsea said...

I completely understand the compulsion to adopt once loved items. Or items that just have proof of prior ownership. I have a small collection of old Shakespeare plays that all have names and years written in the first pages. I think they were all school books. The oldest is from 1918. My favorite is Macbeth where the owner (a Betty Blankenship of Olympia High School, Junior 1929) drew portraits of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in the back.

Unknown said...

how i enjoyed this post. great finds. there's a gunne sax dress on sale in that shop!

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha Isabel! That is kind of depressing, but at least the woman had a hilarious name like Sexsmith!

Thanks Charlotte!

Dearilou, those books sound incredible! I would love to see portraits drawn by a highschool student in 1929, I just love that.

Tom Tuttle-- I saw that Gunne dress! So cute, someone better snatch that up :~)

moonshinejunkyard said...

Thanks for the link!

I love thinking about where clothes go and what kind of stories they create/live through. That is my absolute favorite thing about vintage clothes and maybe the real reason I have no desire to wear anything too new. No life in them, no personality or energy or joy or melancholy.

Once I sold some soft old wraparound floral skirts on ebay to a man who was buying them for his elderly mother. I wish I could have seen photos of her wearing them; I bet she looked so adorable in them. They were just the kind of thing I want to wear as an old woman.

I also love finding books that have been inscribed at our local used bookstore...same type of thing, sets the imagination running.

Thanks again for the dress. I am truly pleased with it and sorry my picture is so dorky!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post as it was like reading my mind! I absolutely love that though of things having a history and who they were owned by previously - I find it fascinating. It's so sad about photos isn't it? You see albums full of old family pictures in markets and car boot sales and it's like they've been abandoned.

Just scrolling through your blog and I love it - fantastic flea market adventures and purple jumps suits - wonderful!

Polly x

Eyeliah said...

This post was awesome, poor Patty indeed! I read this forever ago but I kept meaning to check the couple of sweaters I have that I know have names (first and last) but I keep forgetting to dig so I give up. I also got a purse from the 70s that had aladies ID card in it, she'd be in her 60s now.

calivintage said...

oh that is so amazing. so much better when things are personalized. this makes me want to start putting little hand embroidered tags in all my clothes now, too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your Sunday Sound suggestion - I've posted up one of your Leadbelly tracks. Fantastic idea!

Polly x

VerseaStyle said...

This is a great post! I scour the thrift stores from Atlanta to NC as well :) I will visit your etsy store soon and can't wait!

JOANNA said...

This reminds me of a time when Jon and I went to the thrift store in Santa Cruz to get sweater's for a Holiday "Ugly Sweater Party." I found some nasty old red and green thing, Jon came out with a sweater that had been decorated with "World's best Grandma, Love, Jonny, Jay, and Sarah." My grandmother would surely not part with something as cute as that...why then was it in the thrift store? Quite sad, yet darkly interesting...

Unknown said...

hey girl,

hope you're doing fine. wishing you a fruitful 2010 :)

Anonymous said...

You look adorable in that sweater! What a nice peice to adopt!

JordanMayTwigs said...

I just found your blog tonight.
Well this morning.....

I am totally in love with your style.
We have a lot of the same taste!!!

I love how you take such random pieces and turn them into something completely different and adorable.

Peace Love && Lipstick
XOXOXOXO
JordanMayTwigs
<3

www.jordanmaytwigs.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

SO CUTE!

hop on