Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fashion Undead or Off With Its Head??

Sometimes I wonder if any other thrifting enthusiasts and old-stuff collectors share one of my major personality flaws-- a tendency to hoard. While sometimes I stand by my pack rat neuroses (if it weren't for people who hate to throw things away, where would we get all our antiques and vintage in the first place, right??), I have to admit that it can go too far. 

For me, it can go too far while out on the thrifting front, where I snatch up items that don't really have a ton going for them other than their shiny colors or outright ridiculousness caught my eye. I think any kitsch lover must as a requirement also have a soft spot in his or her heart for weirdness. The result? A box in my closet overflowing with undeniably awesome but questionably wearable clothing. 

Thus the beginnings of a new periodical feature on Zombie Lace: FASHION UNDEAD or OFF WITH ITS HEAD? One thing I'm interested in doing with this blog is making it more interactive, so I decided that one way I could help my pack rat addiction is to get my much trusted well loved readers involved. Every so often (I do hate strict schedules) I will feature an item of clothing from my "I HAD to buy this from the thrift store but now that I have it I have no idea how to wear it" pile. I'll blabber on and enumerate the good and bad features of the piece, and that's where you come in with your lovely opinions and mouse clicking abilities. Just leave a comment or use that mouse clicking power to participate in the super cool poll!

Today's Featured Item: The Very Colorful 1996 Shirt!
Photobucket
Photobucket

No, you don't need to adjust the brightness your computer screen. The colors on this collared shirt from 1996 really are this fresh! But the question is, are they just fresh enough or too fresh to be allowed? Before you decide, here it is worn a few different ways.

Classic opened.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Knotted at waist.
Photobucket

Belted.
Photobucket

Worn by a boy.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Now be honest: Would you have grabbed this shirt off the racks at your local Value Village? Do you see the crazy multicolored potential I saw? Or should this shirt be put in a time machine and sent back to the Atlanta '96 Olympics where it belongs?
The Colorful 1996 Shirt!
Awesomely Undead!
Off With Its Head!
Looks better on a boy.

28 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL YES! Total hoarder ...but I think it satiates my need to organize. Besides, when something is as great as that shirt, how could you ever get rid of it!??! :)

starshine said...

I like the shirt with a matching (pink, purple, or teal) jean skirt or a black one, knotted at waste, with brightly-colored pumps.

Diary of a Young Designer said...

The shirt is awesome! And I definitely would have snatched it out of the clothes rack if I would have seen it. I adore wacky color combos like those, great find!

xo
Sophie

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I definitely would not have grabbed it...I think there are pictures of me in similar pieces from when I was younger. :)
P.S. I'll see if my library carries that book you mentioned.

Andrea Eames said...

I love it belted and tied! Looks great. Definitely a keeper.

ONiC said...

YAYY colors!

AsianCajuns said...

Ooo I love the idea of making your blog interactive!
And I voted "undead"- you and your guy look awesome in that shirt ;)

Unknown said...

LOL, Maegan that is such a nice way of looking at it. But that makes you an ENABLER!
Kayla (or not) I love your vision of the perfect outfit with this shirt! It came alive as I was reading it and I got excited, now I need to find a skirt like you describe :~)
Thanks Sophie and ONiC!!
Lovely Rebecca, I hope you do check out that book and I hope you like it or else I will feel like a fool :~)
Thanks for the input Andrea!
AsianCajun-- (I never know which one I'm talking to, is that terrible? Maybe y'all should initial your comments) He's just a guy but not -my- guy to clear that up. He's actually my roommate and bff. Glad you like the shirt! It actually reminds me slightly of the Members Only jacket you have :~)

Couture Carrie said...

Such a fun photo shoot! I am kind loving it tied at the waist!

xoxox,
CC

Isabel said...

I love the virtues of crazy clothes like that! I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, but it looks killer on you. I can't wait for future installments of this feature - hopefully you have so 80s sequin/gem sweaters I can buy off you!

Eyeliah said...

don't listen to me.... cuz I think it looks better on the guy. I don't think I am ready for this crazy 90s shirt, but if you wanna wear it right? :-)

Diane said...

I probably wouldn't have grabbed it myself but I think it looks awesome on you.

Unknown said...

i totally get you on all counts. if the price was right, i'd grab it. love love love your shoes.

DaisyChain said...

My god I covet that shirt.

PoetryInMotion said...

I really love that shirt...I don't really like it on the guy though...it looks a little Saved By the Bell to me when he wears it. Just a thought.

Jen said...

I am a hoarder (oh the pain admitting that) and with the hoarding comes the little piles of things about the place...

Emy Augustus said...

that looks funnnnn!!!

prettyneons said...

YEP, YEP that's me to I keep everything and anything including shit out of xmas crackers HA!

Bloody hell I need that shirt of yours, watch your back girly LOL!
=)
PeAce*
prettyneons X

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

great shirt!

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

La Mimi said...

Well...the thing is, if something is super cool as an item, it doesn`t mean that it will look great on everyone. The most important thing when buying an item is considering its colors, since you dont want to go for something that will either wash you out, or overpower you. And I feel like this shirt is too bright for your complexion, since you look like a ``summer`` in color analysis terms. Your friend on the other hand is ``winter`` that`s why the shirt looks harmonious with his complexion.
Hope that helps

P.S. Oh, and I always say, if you have to ask yourself whether to keep or throw, that means you need to throw, because if you really loved it, you wouldn`t even be asking yourself that question...

xoxo

Mimi

solecandee said...

Katie I love your page and I love you!!! Ok about the shirt...
I have to admit, initially I would say off with it's head, but then I saw the pictures of you wearing it, so now I say AWESOMELY undead! My favorite way is tied. :)
Charleston misses you!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Isabel! You're in luck because what with my granny fetish, I probably DO have some oversized sequined tops I could dig up somewhere for you :~)

Haha, Eyeliah, your opinion matters too!

Thanks Diane, Tom Tuttle, and DaisyChain.

PrettyNeons and PrettyLittlePictures-- I can relate!!

Mimi, thanks for that fabulous response! I never knew was a summer but I'm going off right now to google what best suits a summer complexion :~) And your shopping rule is a wise one, but requires mastery of my compulsive nature- I'll try to keep it in mind next time I'm out though!

Thanks everybody for responding to this! Look out for the next crazy ugly/awesome article of clothing.

Aya Smith said...

I *personally* wouldn't wear it, but that's just because it's not ME... But on YOU, I think it's absolutely fun and playful, and I love it :)

Em said...

Absolutley love that blouse! Its so colorful, Im such a fan.

xoxo

Rhiannon said...

'96 Olympics, let's bring it back!!! The big Olympic torch and rings always crack me up when I see them .. .

By the way did you just buy a skirt from me? It was an Atlanta Katie and I couldn't figure out if it was you and I didn't want to say anything in case it's a different Katie and she thinks I'm a crazy. . . I always love it when things from the store stay right here in the city. :)

Couture Carrie said...

P.S. I think hoarding clothes is totally okay!

P.P.S. Thanks for all your fab comments, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Fashion Cappuccino said...

The colors are pretty crazy and honestly, I wouldn't buy it but I love the way you wore it different ways! It looks great on you and the boy! xxoxoxo

Stephanie Kim said...

RAD.

hop on